A boy’s cough that lasted 5 years turned out to be a toy he swallowed at 3

A boy’s cough that lasted 5 years turned out to be a toy he swallowed at 3

A boy’s cough that lasted 5 years turned out to be a toy he swallowed at 3

Marley Enjakovic may have had the toy lodged in her throat for five years

Marley’s mum thought she had asthma after she started having difficulty breathing (Image: Breaking Dawn)

A boy has undergone surgery to remove a plastic toy that may have been stuck in his throat for five years.

Eight-year-old Marley Enjakovic, from Adelaide, swallowed the tiny plastic flower several years ago, causing a constant cough and breathing problems.

After a series of misdiagnoses and worsening symptoms, doctors finally discovered that the toy was stuck in her airway.

Marley’s cough became so severe one December day that he was rushed to the hospital as he struggled to breathe.

After he was admitted to an intensive care unit, surgeons discovered and removed the craft flower lodged in his throat.

The little boy, who doesn’t speak much, spoke on the Sunrise breakfast show from his bed at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital.

When asked how it felt to have the piece of plastic stuck in his throat, he replied: ‘Nothing.’

Marley’s mother, Skye, said her son started having coughing fits while eating, but as time went on, he would cough for “hours and hours” and “it was getting scary.”

To view this video, please enable JavaScript and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Marley Enjakovic may have had the toy lodged in her throat for five years

Sedated before surgery after his long-standing symptoms started to get ‘scary’

The toy is finally removed.

Marley’s mother spoke of her relief after the culprit was finally evicted.

Marley Enjakovic may have had the toy lodged in her throat for five years

Feel healthy and happy after your operation

Marley would also have trouble playing basketball and soccer. Her mother was told it was asthma, but she knew it was more because her cough was caused by food and drink.

She added: ‘I was absolutely shocked. but also very relieved, to be honest, because after all these years I finally had an answer.

“My main concern at the time was that he was actually born with the condition.

‘Because if I had been born with that, I would have had other problems. Knowing that it was caused by a foreign body was a bit of a relief for me.

“My message to other parents is that if you feel something is wrong, keep pushing.

I’m so glad I did because it means I got it today.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.