Florida: Man dies from eating ‘one in a billion’ spoiled oysters

Florida: Man dies from eating ‘one in a billion’ spoiled oysters

Two people have died from eating oysters in Florida so far this month

Two people have died from eating oysters in Florida so far this month (Credits: Getty Images)

A man ate a spoiled oyster that was described as “one in a billion” and died.

The man was dining at the Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, when he ate the oyster that gave him a bacterial infection. He became ill with Vibrio, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

“He had that one in a billion that was bad,” Gary Oreal reportedly said. ‘I feel horrible.’

It was the first time such a tragedy had happened to a guest at the restaurant, Oreal said.

“Over the course of 60 years, we’ve served a couple billion oysters and nobody’s ever gotten sick like this guy,” he said.

Oreal said the state Department of Health inspected the kitchen after the incident and it passed “with flying colors.” He issued a warning about eating oysters, but said that won’t stop many shellfish fans from eating them.

“Oysters are the top of the mountain for eating dangerous foods,” he said. ‘I’ve eaten them all my life, and I will continue. But you are putting yourself at risk when you do.

The man apparently worked at the restaurant years ago.

He has been identified as Roger ‘Rocky’ Pinckney and has tested positive for oxycodone, opiates and cannabis, according to the Broward County Medical Examiner. Vibrio was also found in his blood, according to WTVJ.

Pinckney is the second person in Florida to die from eating a raw oyster this month.

Rodney Jackson is one of two people killed by oysters in Florida in August

Rodney Jackson is one of two people killed by oysters in Florida in August (Image: Studer Community Institute)

Studer Community Institute business engagement director Rodney Jackson contracted Vibrio from eating oysters he purchased at Maria’s Fresh Seafood Market, according to the Pensacola News Journal. He died on August 9.

The oysters consumed by Jackson and the unidentified man came from Louisiana, the New York Post reported.

Vibriosis infections typically occur in hot weather, states the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. The infection usually causes vomiting and diarrhea, rather than more serious health problems. However, cases of vibrosis can occur in any climate, according to the CDC.

“An oyster containing harmful bacteria does not look, smell, or taste different from any other oyster,” states the CDC.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.