Heathrow: Threatened midterm breakaways with cap on numbers

Heathrow: Threatened midterm breakaways with cap on numbers

Busier than normal Heathrow T5, London, 22nd July 2022. Travelers are facing long queues at airports across the country this morning on what is expected to be an extremely busy day for air and road travel as the schools are separated and the summer break begins.

The situation has been called “a disaster” but Heathrow said it will ensure fewer flights are canceled at the last minute (Image: SWNS)

Thousands of passengers have been left in limbo as Heathrow Airport extends its limit on passenger numbers for another six weeks.

No more than 100,000 people will be allowed to depart per day until October 29 amid chaos at UK airports due to demand and understaffing.

Heathrow has canceled hundreds of flights in recent months, but fewer trips have been canceled at the last minute since the cap was first introduced in July.

An airport spokesman added that more passengers saw their flights leave on time and experienced shorter waits for bags.

But the move will disrupt the vacation plans of many families hoping to get away during the middle of the term.

Ryanair has promised to add more than 500 flights into London Stansted to counter the ‘desperate Heathrow’.

Meanwhile, the consumer rights group Which? has called the situation “a disaster”, urging Heathrow to say now which flights will definitely go ahead.

“While the passenger cap extension may help Heathrow avoid a repeat of the unacceptable last-minute cancellations we saw earlier in the summer, thousands of people will now be concerned that their travel plans could be scuttled,” Guy Hobbs, travel publisher. in the organization, he said.

FILE PHOTO: A Ryanair Boeing 737-800 plane takes off from Palma de Mallorca airport, Spain, July 29, 2018. REUTERS/Paul Hanna/File Photo

Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary called the airport ‘hopeless Heathrow’ (Image: Reuters)

Heathrow and the affected airlines must act without delay to provide travelers with clarity on which flights are being cut, and airlines must ensure that affected passengers are aware of their rights to rebooking or refunds.

“The aviation industry and government must ensure this mess is resolved as soon as possible: passenger limits cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely.”

Ryanair Chief Executive Michael O’Leary added: “While desperate Heathrow continues to mismanage air travel, Ryanair and London Stansted will continue to grow and deliver for London families, in the way we have done all summer. of 2022”.

The company boss insisted that Ryanair and Stansted have “more than enough staff” to handle the additional flights that have been announced.

Capacity limits will remain under review, a statement from Heathrow said.

Officials offered some hope, saying they “could get up sooner if there was a sustained picture of improved resilience and a material increase in resource levels.”

Heathrow’s chief commercial officer, Ross Baker, has said that “the main concern is to ensure that we provide our passengers with a reliable service when they travel”.

“That’s why in July we introduced temporary capacity limits that have already improved travel during the summer break,” he said.

“We want to remove the cap as soon as possible, but we can only do so when we are confident that everyone who operates the airport has the resources to provide the service our passengers deserve.”

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.