One of our most anticipated upcoming movies that Netflix has in the works is The Electric State which is being developed and directed by The Russo Brothers. Here’s a rundown of everything you need to know about the upcoming movie starring Millie Bobby Brown.
The Electric State has been years in the making before coming to Netflix, so before we delve into what we know about the movie, here’s a quick rundown of the movie’s timeline so far:
- The book was published in December 2017.
- The Russo brothers won the options for the science fiction novel in December 2017 with Andy Muschietti (It’s) sought out the director’s seat, and Barbara Muschietti set about producing.
- The project was sold to Universal in December 2020 with Millie Bobby Brown attached to star, Russo Brothers attached to direct, and Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely attached to write. It was planned for a theatrical release.
- We exclusively report that Netflix is considering taking over the project in June 2022.
- Netflix officially gets the project in 2022 with an announcement in late June 2022.
the russo brothers they’re running the project and they’re also behind AGBO, the production company behind The Electric State.
Joe and Anthony Russo are best known for their work on Marvel’s The Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. They have also directed several projects over the years, including the recently released Netflix action flick, the gray man.
The couple is working on at least 7 more projects for Netflix, including Extraction 2, After midnight, deceptionY gray man 2.
Christopher Marcos Y Stephen McFeely they are writing the project and serving as executive producers. Sarah Finn works as a casting director.
The film will have a whopping $200 million budget which matches the budget that was allocated to the Russo Brothers’ previous smash hit for Netflix, the gray man.
What is The Electric State about?
The film is an adaptation of Simon Stålenhag’s book of the same name (although it was previously known as Passagen). Stålenhag is behind other well-known books, such as tales of the loop Y deluge stuff.
Here’s a recap of the story (courtesy of GoodReads) that is expected to be followed by the upcoming film:
“In 1997, a teenage runaway and her yellow toy robot travel west across a strange United States. The wreckage of gigantic combat drones litters the countryside, along with the discarded rubbish of a declining high-tech consumer society. As her car nears the edge of the continent, the world outside the window seems to unravel faster and faster, as if somewhere beyond the horizon the hollow core of civilization has finally collapsed.”
Who is in the cast of Netflix’s The Electric State?
millie bobby brown was attached to the project in December 2020 and reportedly claims that will continue to be the case for Netflix.
Brown is, of course, best known for her role in Netflix’s Stranger Things, but she’s also worked on the Godzilla franchise and returning Enola Holmes. That’s in addition to some of the other upcoming projects the actress has on Netflix.
On August 11, Netflix revealed the full cast with the actors and actresses who will appear and a couple who will lend their voices to the film.
- Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Michelle Yeoh (everything everywhere at once, Crazy Rich Asians, The Witcher: Blood Origin)
- stanley tucci (The Devil Wears Prada, The Hunger Games)
- jason alexander (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Seinfeld)
On the voice talent side:
- Brian Cox (Succession)
- Jenny Slate (Marcel the Shell with his shoes on, parks and recreation)
We also know that they will be casting the roles of Christopher and Young Michelle in early June 2022.
Christopher is described as a supportive 6-year-old boy who has an active imagination and is bright beyond his years.
Young Michelle is a brave, smart and caring 8-year-old girl and has a strong bond with her younger brother.
When will production begin on The Electric State for Netflix?
When we first reported on the title, we noted that production was scheduled to begin in October 2022 and wrap up in February 2023.
It appears that it has been given an expanded filming schedule, with reports now suggesting that filming will take place between mid-October 2022 and wrap up in April 2023.
Netflix themselves have only confirmed that “Production on The Electric State It will start this fall.
This production schedule described above means that gray man 2 probably won’t start production until the middle of next year and it means that Strange things Season 5 probably won’t start anytime soon.
The film is operating under the working title of “STORMWIND”.
are you looking forward to seeing The Electric State on Netflix? Let us know in the comments.