Netflix has released a trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities, an upcoming horror anthology scheduled to premiere October 25 on the streaming service. Two new short stories will debut from that date until October 28.
Eight episodes in total will be released just before Halloween, with six adaptations of the classic horror genre for which the anthology is named, and an additional two are original works by del Toro himself. According to Netflix, Del Toro has curated a collection of “unprecedented, genre-defining stories intended to challenge our traditional notions of horror.” He checks out the trailer below, which features a first look at the show’s monsters and also gives a taste of the tone of the collection.
“With the Cabinet of Curiosities, we set out to showcase the realities that exist outside of our normal world: the anomalies and curiosities. We handpicked and curated a group of stories and storytellers to deliver these tales, whether they come from outer space, supernatural lore. , or just inside our minds,” Guillermo del Toro said in a statement. “Each of these eight tales is a fantastical look inside the cabinet of delights that exists beneath the reality in which we live.”
Read on for everything you need to know about each of those episodes, plus cast information for each one; Some standouts include Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen), Peter Weller (Robocop), Charlyne Yi (Steven Universe), Crispin Glover (Back To The Future), Martin Starr (Silicon Valley), and Eric André (The Eric Andre Show). The series is produced by J. Miles Dale (The Shape of Water), who also serves as co-showrunner. Regina Corrado serves as co-executive producer. Del Toro also serves as host.
DREAMS IN THE WITCH’S HOUSE
- Rupert Grint (Servant), Ismael Cruz Cordova (Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Undoing, Miss Bala), DJ Qualls (Turning Point, Supernatural), Nia Vardalos (Love, Victor, Station 19, My Big Fat Greek Wedding) and Tenika Davis (Jupiter’s Legacy, Titans) star in an episode written by Mika Watkins (Origin; Black Mirror; Troy: Fall of a City) (based on a short story by HP Lovecraft) and directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Thirteen; Lords of Dogtown; Twilight)
- David Hewlett (SEE, The Shape of Water; Stargate: Atlantis) stars in an episode written (based on a short story by Henry Kuttner) and directed by Vincenzo Natali (In The Tall Grass; Splice; Cube; Hannibal)
- Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen; The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), Elpidia Carrillo (Predator; Bread & Roses; Euphoria), Demetrius Grosse (Fear The Walking Dead; Boon; Lovecraft Country) and Sebastian Roche (The Man in the High Castle; The Young Pope) star in an episode written by Regina Corrado (Deadwood; The Strain) (based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro); and directed by Guillermo Navarro (The Godfather of Harlem; Narcos)
- Ben Barnes (Shadow and Bone; Westworld; The Punisher), Crispin Glover (Rivers Edge; Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland; American Gods; Back To The Future; Willard; Charlie’s Angels) and Oriana Leman (The Whale; The Detectives) star in an episode written by Lee Patterson (Curve; The Colony) (based on a short story by HP Lovecraft) and directed by Keith Thomas (Firestarter; The Vigil)
- Academy Award winner F. Murray Abraham (Mythic Quest; Homeland; Amadeus), Glynn Turman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom; Fargo; The Wire), and Luke Roberts (Ransom; Black Sails) will appear in an episode written by David S. Goyer (The Sandman; Dark City; The Dark Knight; Batman Begins) (based on a short story by Michael Shea) and directed by David Prior (The Empty Man; AM1200)
- Essie Davis (The Babadook), Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead; Penguin Bloom) and Hannah Galway (Sex/Life) star in an episode written (based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro) and directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook; The Mockingbird)
- Kate Micucci (The Little Hours; Mom) and Martin Starr (Silicon Valley; Party Down) star in an episode written by Haley Z. Boston (Brand New Cherry Flavor) (based on a short story by comic book author Emily Carroll) and directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night; Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon; The Bad Batch)
- Peter Weller (forthcoming The Colosseum; Naked Lunch; Star Trek Into Darkness; Robocop), Eric André (The Eric Andre Show; The Righteous Gemstones), Sofia Boutella (Kingsman: The Secret Service; forthcoming Rebel Moon), Charlyne Yi (Always Be My Maybe; Good Girls), Steve Agee (Peacemaker; The Suicide Squad), Michael Therriatt (Locke and Key; Cult of Chucky) and Saad Siddiqui (From Scratch; DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) star in an episode directed by Panos Cosmatos (Mandy). , who also writes, along with Aaron Stewart-Ahn.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a portion of the proceeds if you purchase something featured on our site.