Genshin Impact update 3.0 is a big one. Titled The Morn a Thousand Roses Brings, patch 3.0 opens up Sumeru and introduces the seventh and final Genshin item, Dendro. It’s not strictly new, as Dendro has been around since the beginning of Genshin (some Hilichurl mages can use Dendro), but this is the first time the Traveler (and by extension, us) will be able to use the item.
Genshin Impact 3.0 will be released on August 24. Pre-installation is generally available and it will probably be released the day before launch, on August 23. With the pre-install, players can log in as soon as the new patch maintenance is complete.
Patch 3.0 will last five weeks, instead of the usual six weeks.
New Element: Dendro
Dendro, according to a sneak preview of Sumeru, has three key terms attached to it: catalysis, wisdom, and life. Mihoyo has so far revealed three of Dendro’s reactions with other elements: Burning, Bloom, and Catalyze.
- Bloom (Dendro and Hydro) It is inspired by the real life phenomenon of flowers blooming and is a combination of the healing quality of Hydro and the catalyzing ability of Dendro. Bloom will spawn Dendro Cores, which will eventually explode with AoE Dendro damage.
- Outbreak: If Dendro Nuclei produced from Bloom Reactions go into Pyro or Electro, the Burgeon Reaction is activated. This can increase AoE Dendro’s explosive damage or trigger overbloom–a reaction that turns Dendro Cores into long shots that track enemies.
- Catalyze (Dendro and Electro) doesn’t have the same strong real-life inspiration as Bloom. It is a combination of Electro’s qualities and Dendro’s keyword, Wisdom. Catalyze also has a strong lore as it is seemingly an integral part of Sumeru’s history. Catalyze applies the Quicken effect, which increases the target’s next damage from Dendro or Electro’s next damage (called spread Y average).
As the trailer explains, there’s a new system where certain overworld features and enemies will change state based on the item you apply to them, leading to different interactions between the player and the feature in question. In combat, if you defeat an enemy in a specific state, you might even receive special rewards.
In the same trailer, players can see the Traveler hitting a mushroom with Dendro, causing it to bloom. The Traveler can then use the mushroom as a springboard, an action that shows Dendro’s potential to be an interesting tool in exploring the outside world.
In keeping with tradition in the Genshin Impact community, the 3.0 beta leaks have been spread online, including a full list of Dendro’s rumored reactions. While most of the information in this leak is basically confirmed in teasers and press releases, as with anything that comes from rumours, take it with a grain of salt. We’ll have to wait for 3.0 to confirm Dendro’s features.
The Sumeru stage
Sumeru is the land of wisdom, scholars, and the Archon Dendro. Players probably know Sumeru as the place where Lisa, a Mondsadt character we meet at the beginning of the game, attended school.
The organization known as Akademiya controls the state affairs of Sumeru. The Sumerians in general value knowledge and do not dream either, something they take pride in, as they see it as proof of their rationality.
Sumeru’s environment is divided into two biomes: the desert and the rainforest. In contrast to the jagged cliffs of Inazuma and the stone pillars of Liyue, the slopes of Sumeru’s mountains are gentler, like those found in tropical and humid regions, according to the developers speaking in the second Sumeru teaser. . The forest flora and fauna have a unique evolution of Shroom-kins called Funi. The strongest Fungi have animal features, including a new chicken, slash, big bird boss.
When players enter Sumeru, they will encounter a city built on a giant tree and a group of forest spirits, who of course have things they need the Traveler to help them with: the catalyst for the Traveler to discover many different regions on the Sumeru map. There’s even a mysterious giant robot wedged between mountains, as well as huge glowing trees.
Travelers will meet hermits, people descended from an ancient civilization in a desert. They are an independent force in Sumeru and can be considered mercenaries. In this vast desert, Sumeru also contains unique inverted tornadoes and secret areas, including relics and enemies of the ancient fallen civilization. There is also another giant robot in the desert. How the two robots are related will be discovered in the game.
All of the above, however, is threatened by something that is “eroding” them.
The history of Sumer
A Sumeru trailer reveals that Dendro Archon, the Great Lord Rukkhadevata, is directly connected to Irminsul, the great tree whose roots form ley lines. She, however, disappeared in a calamity a couple of hundred years ago. The sages eventually found a reborn version of the Archon, the Lesser Lord Kusanali, and brought him back to Sumeru.
Trailer 3.0 also shows a festival called Sabzeruz and the birthday of the Archon reborn, where Nilou, a character chosen to follow the path of art and dance in a country that values wisdom, will perform an important dance. There is also a shadowy antagonistic force trying to bring back a god, hinted to be the past Dendro Archon, who promises “retribution” for everyone else. The Fatui are also up to something in Sumeru, according to the Teyvat interlude, A Winter Night’s Lazzo. At the end of the trailer, a segment of the Doctor stands in front of a giant burning tree, probably Irminsul, and Collei, a Sumerian character, wakes up from a dream.
Another problem that happens in Sumeru is something called Withering. True to its name, the blighted areas appear devoid of life and the phenomenon is said to originate from deep within the world. The Rangers, as new character Sumeru Tighnari comments in the trailer, are likely to be fighting in the withered zones for quite some time.
Sumeru playable characters
Tighnari and Collei’s abilities have not been officially revealed. But reliable leakers such as Honey Hunter have released what are rumored to be their kits. We won’t go into the ins and outs of their rumored kits here, but will provide an overview.
Tighnari and Collei are in the first 3.0 banner, plus a returning Zhongli banner. Dori is in the second set of 3.0 banners, reruns of Ganyu and Kokomi, who will appear in the second half of the event. Collei can also be obtained for free in the Graven Innocence event.
Tighnari (Arc, Five Star, Dendro)
- Biography: A young researcher with a good heart. He is a Forest Watcher and Collei’s teacher.
- Skills: Dendro AoE damage dealer. Elemental Burst allows Tighnari to land six Dendro Hits that track enemies.
Collei (Arc, Four Star, Dendro)
- Biography: Trainee ranger under Tighnari.
- Skills: Archer with a kit similar to Amber’s, but Dendro instead of Pyro. She has a Dendro boomerang-like attack that can affect multiple enemies. She also has Amber’s Baron Bunny-esque toy called Cuielen-Anbar, which when exploding, deals damage to Dendro.
Dori (Claymore, Four Star, Electro)
- Biography: A traveling merchant, who appears even shorter than Diona.
- Skills: His kit is more support oriented. Burst will attach to a character and provide HP restoration, energy regeneration, and electrical application.
Recorded Innocence Event
- Challenge of taking pictures: Players can take pictures of forest animals in Sumeru and get rewards.
- Combat Challenge: The new Electro Regisvine and the chicken-horse hybrid Dendro Fungi boss.
- Time Racing Challenge: Players race across the landscape in a timed challenge to collect gold coins.
- Combat: Section I of this category has quests titled “The Wonderful Mushrooms of Teyvat”, but also shows players fighting Ruin Scouts (the jellyfish-like mechanical enemies).
- Rewards: This event notably awards the new 4-star Dendro character, Collei, and crowns, among the usual Firstborn rewards and other level-up resources.
These are the usual timed combat challenges with combat score multipliers for different selected battle conditions. There are also character buffs, for example your current active character can receive a 110% increase in damage from Hydro. Rewards include Firstborns and the usual resources like EXP books, gold, character talent level-up materials, and more.
This event is a treasure hunt and players can discover chests after defeating enemies.
This is a bit new, unlike Lost Riches that we have seen in previous Genshin updates, as it is a combat challenge where players can take potions and deal a lot of damage to enemies by capturing their weaknesses.
teaser and trailers
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a portion of the proceeds if you purchase something featured on our site.